Happy 2015, all! We finished 2014 with that most splendid Unexpected "Battle of the Five Armies" Premiere Party at the Roxy Cinema on December 2. Could we have ever imagined enjoying such an ending to The Hobbit film trilogy? It has been wonderful to share in that journey together - and the journey goes on.
Bilbo's main part in the story, as told in The Hobbit: There and Back Again, ends in the Third Age 2942. It will be 76 years, T.A 3018, before Frodo sets out to begin his part of the tale in The Fellowship of the Ring. Our topic for the next meeting will be "What was going on in Middle-earth from the day Bilbo arrived home to find the contents of Bag End being auctioned until the day Frodo leaves with Sam, Merry and Pippin?" Film verse is different from book verse, and we can compare the two, if you like, but shall we first review what Professor Tolkien had in mind? I've made an index from Appendices A, B, and C at the end of Return of the King for those years so we can each read up on it before and then discuss.
- The Third Age: There is a chronology of this age, which includes all our stories. Begin in 2942 when Bilbo returns to the Shire. End in 3018 when Frodo sets off on September 23.
- Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion: A. I. iv approx. pages 9-12
- The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen: A. I. v approx. pages 1-5
- The House of Eorl - Rohan: A. II
The last paragraph is about Saruman.
"The Kings of the Mark": Second Line 16. Thengel; 17. Théoden; Third Line - Eomer and Eowyn
- Durin's Folk A. III. approx. pages 7-8
The death of Thorin; the Kingship of Dáin; King Bard of Dale
- Hobbit family trees
Bring up any other bits you remember recorded in the stories themselves.
And don't forget the last two pages of The Hobbit !
Bring your books and your appetites to the Embassy cafe upstairs.
The journey continues!
Post a Comment